CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Hello all. (this is matt)
Well, last night I played my first game. I have a really good line, i am playing on the first power play and i actually got a lot of ice time. It was my very first game in over a year, so i am still a bit rusty. We ended up winning the game and I got my first goal in Sweden, so that is a blessing. I have been learning a lot through God's word. When i didn't get the chance to play in the first game, I got to chat with one of the guys on the team. He mentioned that here in Sweden you either go to church.. or you don't go to church at all. And the reason that you don't go to church is because there are too many rules. They feel like they would have to give up too much. It really made me start thinking alot about how to approach this, because I know that it isn't about rules, it is about a "freedom" in Christ. As I was reading in Colossians 4:5,6
"Be wise in the way you act towards outsiders (non believers) ; make the most of every opportunity. Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone."
This hit me because when it says "seasoned with salt" that means that it has to be tasty. You have to be able to grip them, and give them a hunger to want to know more. Pray that their hearts will truly be opened to Jesus Christ, and to realize that it is not about rules. I pray that they may see this in mine and Jessica's life. I want God to give me the wisdom and discernment to be able to talk to anyone I come in contact with. Thank you for all of your prayers, we feel them so much. Thank you so much for all of your support and prayers, without them non of this would be possible. So thanks again, and God bless.
Matt

Friends and Family, (this is Jessica)

Hello everyone! The past few days have been awesome! I had my first coaching class and LOVED IT! It is amazing how with kids, how language barriers really don't exist. They were really loving and accepted me right away. They were teaching me Swedish songs and words by the end of the class. That time was such a blessing for me. It was great to feel purpose in being here, as I have been sick and not able to be a part of very much.
On Thursday Matt, John and I went to the school here. It is grades 7,8, and 9. The teachers in this school are very excited about us being here and want to have us in their school as much as possible. We found out that I will be helping in teaching english in some of the classes, as well as helping out with the sports. The teachers are excited for me to help with gym class as they have no girls who help with those classes. I will also be assisting in coaching the girls volleyball class. I feel so blessed to be able to help with all of these things! Matt will also be helping out in the school. They have 2 days a week in which they have 2 hours of hockey classes. He is very excited about being able to help with that! This opens up HUGE doors for us. We have found that a major need here is for youth leaders. They don't have "Youth Pastors" in the churches, and they are a bit at a loss for ideas of what to do with the youth. This is a huge thing to take on, but we trust that we are in the Lords will, and through Him anything can happen.
Words can't express how lucky i feel to be able to be a part of all of these amazing things! Matt read something to me the other day that BLEW me away. It was in his commentary in his Bible it said;
"Our service won't save us, but we are saved to serve." I just think this is an amazing thought! It has changed the way I think about my time here in Sweden. Not only in the way I view my role here, but also in the way the Swedish people live. That may as well be their moto. They have such servant hearts. Our needs have been met in every way here. They are always wanting to serve us! We have more than we could have imagined here. Please keep praying that God will show us His plan for us while we are here. We are really open to be used,... but more than anything we are so excited to be able to serve. We feel as if we were "saved to serve."
If their is anything else you would like to know about our time here, please feel free to ask us. We miss all of you and appreciate when you check in and read this!
Thanks again for all of your love and support! We are so thankful!
Lots of Love,
Jess

Ps: Matt and John had a full page article in the news paper here.. they are practically famous!

For those of you who want to check in on matt's stats, there are a few websites you can look at.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=496
http://www.swehockey.se/bohuslan-dals/Table.asp?TournamentId=50125

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for blogging today. your love for christ is so evident in both of your writings. tears always flow when i read all that God is doing there. I love the "saved to serve" motto. i love you both so very much & words cannot even begin to express how proud we are & how much we love both of you!! (P.S. Enjoy your doritoes matty)
Amy

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you both. God is working in your lives in an inspiring way. Your faithfulness and excitement for God is inspiring to not only to those around you there, but also here. Thank you for your time to keep us all updated, so we can continue to pray for your current needs.
BobW